Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I am the President

Last week, I encountered someone with an outdoor table and a sign attempting to engage passersby in a discussion about politics. I was tempted, as you would expect, but I was discouraged by the sign he was using to initiate the discussions. His sign had a picture of President Obama which included a Hitler mustache, and the words “He’s nuts” in big letters. Perhaps this person may have had some intelligent things to say about the topics of the day, but I did not approach him due to the disrespect he was showing the President. Not necessarily the words, but certainly the depiction with the mustache.


That got me thinking that perhaps President Obama needs to go on TV and give the following speech.



My fellow Americans. I am the President of the United States of America. I am the president of over 350 million people, millions of whom voted for me in 2008, and millions who did not.

I am the president of those who believe that everyone should have a gun, and those that believe that no one should own one.

I am the president of those who believe that abortion is murder, and those who believe that abortion is a decision that is best left to a woman, her family and her doctor.

I am the president of those who believe that gay marriage violates God’ will, and those that believe that in their
pursuit of happiness, marriage among two consenting adults should not be regulated by the government.

I am the president of those who believe that the separation of church and state means the government should make no law respecting the establishment of religion, and those that believe that their particular religion is better than the rest and should be established.

I am president of those who believe that our surging national debt is the biggest threat to our country, and those who believe that sometimes debt created to avoid a national disaster is the lesser of two evils. 
I am president of those who believe that income inequality is the natural result of capitalism, and those who believe that income inequality is a threat to democracy.

I am the president of those who believe that business needs less government regulation, and those who blame our recent economic disasters on the lack of strong government oversight.

I am president of those who believe that we need to close our borders and deport anyone who is illegally in our country.

I am president of those who believe that health care coverage should be available to all Americans, especially those who are sick and of limited income.

I am the president of people who believe that their elected officials should never compromise on the big issues of the day, and those who believe that without compromise, the country cannot address and solve its problems.

I am the president of the most diverse population on the planet. An assemblage of individuals with as wide a range of viewpoints, and the greatest freedoms to express those views, ever to exist.

I am the president of all these people, all of you, accountable to you in both the voting booth, and as you discuss the issues of the day around your dinner tables and by your water coolers.


I am the President, but not the dictator, of the United States. That means that I must work with the Congress, your other duly elected officials, to steer the ship of state. That means that I must temper my decisions to reflect the majority will while also respecting the rights and views of the minority.

And so, as your president, I will make decisions and policies that many of you support, and many of you do not. To some, I will act as a champion for justice, to others, a threat to your freedom. At times, I will be perceived as America’s greatest ambassador to the world, at others, America’s biggest joke.

I am the President of the United States.

As such, all I ask is for is your support when you agree, and grievances when you do not. But please, support and disagree with respect. If not respect for me or my office, respect for your fellow Americas whose love for this country is just as great as yours, but whose opinions might be the polar opposite of yours.

Let’s show the world America’s greatness by working together to solve our problems despite our differences, rather than spiting each other because of our differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment