Thursday, January 17, 2019

New Year, New Perspective

Happy New Year!

I know I am 17 days late for that statement, and that I haven't posted in more than 40 days.  Probably the most time between posts in years.  Strangely, I did not "miss" my blog, although I did check in at least once a week to note traffic.  (Along that line, I started 2018 with the thought of recording how many different countries were represented by my "audience".  Seventy-two is the answer for 2018).

As I reflect on why I did not miss my blog, why I did not pressure myself to find the time to post something, especially considering how much material there is to comment upon, I settled on three
answers, all being correct in some way.

First, as 2018 came to a close, there were times that my opinion seemed to matter less and less.  Not that I will stop offering it, but that the forces at work which are changing our world, seem far beyond being effected by the voice of one person.  Call it the "throw-ones-hands-into-the-air" philosophy, it just seems that there is little one person can do to alter the course of our national and planetary paths.

Second, I was busy, very busy at work.  I am the manager of a retail store which, of course, means massive business during the holiday season, but in addition to the normal chaos, it was decided that we
would open a new location for that store, about 6 doors down in the same complex, and that we would close the old store January 6th, and open the new store January 7th.  This required my presence in both locations, a reduction of inventory at the precise time that our sales would be at their highest, stocking the new store in anticipation of the opening without the use of electronic receiving technology, coordinating the move with multiple people from multiple departments, each with their own view of what needed to be done, and a host of "little" issues that in aggregate created a big pile.

But third, and perhaps most critical, I began reading a book I received from my Secret Santa called
"How to Change Your Mind", subtitled, "What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence", by Michael Pollan.

I know, the title and subtitle are a mouthful, and the topic both alarming and provocative.  At this point I am about to begin the 6th and final chapter.  To say the least, it is an eye-opening read, but more importantly, mind expanding, if I may use a sixties sounding phrase.

I will comment further on this book in my next post.

In the meantime, I wish you and your families, a happy and healthy New Year.




No comments:

Post a Comment