Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Idiot Wind

I read a short article concerning a comment made by the republican presidential candidate at a rally this past weekend. The comment that was quoted concerned the increase of Chinese illegal immigrants being encountered at the border. 

Since the demographics of those particular immigrants are mostly men in their twenties and thirties, the obvious conclusion must be that they are here to form an army to wage war against America, so said the candidate.

Notwithstanding the obvious fact that men of that age group are also more likely to be seeking work, being such an able bodied demographic, and that there is absolutely no evidence of such a conspiracy, one would think that such an observation would be greeted with a shake of the head.

One could say that, at best, it is just political rhetoric, although, at worst, one could say that it reflects the inherent racism that permeates that particular candidate.

For the last few years, my daughter and daughter-in-law have been hosting a mother-daughter Mother's Day weekend. Since we have only one car now, I drove my wife to the Harrisburg area where we met the other mom who drove the two of them to the celebration. 

It was on the way to pick up Nora on the return from the weekend that I played the Bob Dylan CD "Blood on the Tracks", which is one of my favorites.

I hadn't heard the album in a while, and while I remembered most of the songs, including the iconic "Tangled Up In Blue", I had forgotten about the song called "Idiot Wind".

Here are the lyrics

-------

Someone's got it in for meThey're planting stories in the pressWhoever it is I wish they'd cut it out quickBut when they will I can only guessThey say I shot a man named GrayAnd took his wife to ItalyShe inherited a million bucksAnd when she died it came to meI can't help it if I'm lucky
People see me all the timeAnd they just can't remember how to actTheir minds are filled with big ideasImages and distorted factsEven you, yesterdayYou had to ask me where it was atI couldn't believe after all these yearsYou didn't know me better than thatSweet lady
Idiot windBlowing every time you move your mouthBlowing down the back roads headin' southIdiot windBlowing every time you move your teethYou're an idiot, babeIt's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
I ran into the fortune-tellerWho said, "beware of lightning that might strike"I haven't known peace and quietFor so long I can't remember what it's likeThere's a lone soldier on the crossSmoke pourin' out of a boxcar doorYou didn't know it, you didn't think it could be doneIn the final end he won the warsAfter losin' every battle
I woke up on the roadsideDaydreamin' 'bout the way things sometimes areVisions of your chestnut mareShoot through my head and are makin' me see starsYou hurt the ones that I love bestAnd cover up the truth with liesOne day you'll be in the ditchFlies buzzin' around your eyesBlood on your saddle
Idiot windBlowing through the flowers on your tombBlowing through the curtains in your roomIdiot windBlowing every time you move your teethYou're an idiot, babeIt's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
It was gravity which pulled us downAnd destiny which broke us apartYou tamed the lion in my cageBut it just wasn't enough to change my heartNow everything's a little upside downAs a matter of fact the wheels have stoppedWhat's good is bad, what's bad is goodYou'll find out when you reach the topYou're on the bottom
I noticed at the ceremonyYour corrupt ways had finally made you blindI can't remember your face anymoreYour mouth has changedYour eyes don't look into mineThe priest wore black on the seventh dayAnd sat stone-faced while the building burnedI waited for you on the running boardsNear the cypress trees, while the springtime turnedSlowly into autumn
Idiot windBlowing like a circle around my skullFrom the Grand Coulee Dam to the CapitolIdiot windBlowing every time you move your teethYou're an idiot, babeIt's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
I can't feel you anymoreI can't even touch the books you've readEvery time I crawl past your doorI been wishin' I was somebody else insteadDown the highway, down the tracksDown the road to ecstasyI followed you beneath the starsHounded by your memoryAnd all your ragin' glory
I been double-crossed nowFor the very last time and now I'm finally freeI kissed goodbye the howling beastOn the borderline which separated you from meYou'll never know the hurt I sufferedNor the pain I rise aboveAnd I'll never know the same about youYour holiness or your kind of loveAnd it makes me feel so sorry
Idiot windBlowing through the buttons of our coatsBlowing through the letters that we wroteIdiot windBlowing through the dust upon our shelvesWe're idiots, babe

It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves  

-----

Obviously, there is a lot to unpack in that song. And, of course, Bob Dylan was not referring to Donald Trump when he wrote it in 1974. When I researched the meaning according to Dylan, I found numerous comments and interpretations, but most center around the hurt and betrayal that occur when a relationship ends, and the words of one's ex-lover which blow forth "every time you move your mouth", every time you move your teeth". 

Still, as I cruised along the turnpike, I immediately thought of the ex-president's comment while the song played. It not just that he routinely makes extraordinarily virulent comments about the topics of the day, but that his words are accepted, even welcomed, by a swath of our electorate who are all too willing to bask in the hatred that prejudice creates, all in the name of making America great. 

The actual fact, that it is immigrants that made America great, seems lost on far too many people, many whom are only first and second generation Americans themselves. It general, it was immigrants who built our skyscrapers, highway system, and power generation network, and specifically, was Chinese immigrants who were instrumental in laying the tracks for our intercontinental railway system. 

Idiot Wind. 

At this point, I imagine that for the foreseeable future, I will think of this description every time I see Trump speaking. His remarks seem so preposterous, his words just so much wind whistling through his teeth. 

Yet it is just not him, as his words find willing receptacles in the ears of many Americans. 

Someone's got it in for me, they're planting stories in the press, or fake news, as Trump likes to say.

What's good is bad, what's bad is good, you'll find out when you reach the top, you're on the bottom, which is the calling card of an agent of chaos.

Blowing like a circle around my skull, from the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol, which oozes even more meaning in light of January 6th.    

Whether time will pass and Trump's idiot wind will be mentioned with Joe McCarthy, is far from certain. But perhaps we can hope that in the not so distant future, those he has duped will echo the lines:

I been double-crossed nowFor the very last time and now I'm finally free

-----

I referred to a Bob Dylan song once before, in a post from 2015. Here is a link to that post.


https://wurdsfromtheburbs.blogspot.com/2015/12/god-on-our-side.html

No comments:

Post a Comment