Thursday, August 6, 2026

What May Come 2

In March of 2025, I posted my thoughts on what may come during the second DJT term.

Here is a link to that post. 

https://wurdsfromtheburbs.blogspot.com/2025/03/what-may-come.html 

The good news is that some of the things I thought might occur have not. For instance, despite my correct prediction that American citizens would be killed in our streets, and that large protests against the Trump administration would occur, martial law has not been declared anywhere. Now, it is true that as punishment for those American citizens who reside in states which did not vote GOP, there have been various "investigations", national guard deployments, and increased ICE activities, the ultimate weapon of martial law has not been used. While I am grateful for being wrong on that account, I still stand behind the prediction that it may still be utilized.

Related to the killing of American citizens, Bruce Springsteen provided an answer to my question as to who would follow in Neil Young's footprints and create a song about death in our streets.  

I was also wrong about a national abortion ban. While there may still be some action towards that direction, still may be calls to revive the Comstock Act as a way to outlaw the mailing of mifepristone (especially when Todd Blanche is confirmed as Attorney General), I am hopeful that there is not enough time before the midterms to get that done. Doesn't mean Trump may not try an executive action along those lines, or that RFK Jr might not sway the FDA to change its rulings about drugs used for abortion, but for now, I am, again, grateful to be wrong.

I did expect that childhood diseases might increase due to the vaccine hesitancy that has been driven by RFK Jr's worm addled brain, and am not surprised that we are having record food borne illnesses considering the attacks against science and the government workers who have worked under the radar to inspect and regulate those businesses who produce our food. Let's not forget to praise Musk and DOGE for some of this as well.

I also touched on the possibility of a resurgence of American imperialism, which was right on the mark considering the forced removal of Venezuela's leader, not to mention the Iran War. While I admit that I didn't see the actual war in Iran coming, knowing that the concept of potentially interrupting the flow of oil was the main reason why previous administrations did not attempt what we now see is a disastrous plan, at least the oil companies are raking in huge profits. Certainly their perspective has always been the prime driver of our Middle East foreign policy, even before Trump. Now, at least it is out in the open! 

And yes, gay marriage is still the law of the land, having not been returned to the states. Again, glad to be wrong, but I have little faith that the Supreme Court may use the same logic (or lack thereof) the decide that since the founders didn't mention gay marriage in any of their documents or writings, there is no historical justification for using the Bill of Rights or the Constitution to guarantee such a right. Perhaps it might be another one of the rulings of the Roberts Court, along with Citizens United, Dobbs and the recent Humphreys Executor, not to mention the patently ridiculous and offensive ruling that presidents are immune to prosecution while in office, that will change the landscape of American politics, economics, and society. Pretty good for an institution that claims not to buck precedent or make laws! 

I ended that post with the sincere hope that I would be wrong in some of most dire predictions, and I am glad to have been right (or wrong) in a few areas. 

But, as I witness a man who can never admit any mistakes, has surrounded himself with sycophants who knowingly hide the truth from him, or, are just using him to get what they want, such as Stephen Miller, the ultimate racist, a man who can't help but brag about himself while belittling every other leader, past US presidents included, who prefers to ruin the lives of American citizens (see David Hearn) and those seeking to become Americans (see all those he has rounded up, even at actual asylum hearings, even some with sons, spouses, children serving in our military), someone who continues to talk about $2 gas being a thing, inflation being over, affordability being a Democrat scam, a leader (supposed) who now bandies about the "communist" description for anyone who disagrees with him (having zoomed right past the S word, S for socialist), I still expect some kind of federal intervention in the November elections. 

That is already a fact in his executive order concerning mail in ballots and his attempt to compel the United State Post Office to screen mail in ballots in states that do not change their election rules to suit him.

Whether DJT decides to run for a third term to further challenge and poop upon our Constitution, or merely becomes content with enriching himself and his family in the next two years, it is hard to fathom anything not to outrageous for him to attempt, and for the GOP controlled Congress to allow. While it seems that the Dems might control the House after November, again, most likely after Trump declares some of the results invalid, and/or pushes Mike Johnson not to seat those Dems who helped flip the House (Johnson being one of the worst House leaders in my lifetime, considering that he doesn't lead as much as take orders), I don't expect the Senate to flip so there will be another two years of Congressional impotency.

And executive orders like no one has even seen, to quote the man who exaggerates and lies like no president in our history.

Finally, the stock market is currently on a record run. I struggle mightily with this trend. On one hand, my selfish instincts are happy that my nest egg is growing and that I should continue to be able to live comfortably, despite the outrageous prices at the pump (drill baby drill not withstanding), and the inflationary pressures that are preventing the Fed from lowering interest rates.

Yet my personal outlook is completely overpowered by the knowledge that should the market continue to rise, some people will continue to vote for Republicans for that one reason only. They will ignore the fact that millions of their fellow citizens have lost their health insurance, that student loan debt continues to manacle those under 30, that we our government is actively rounding up hard working people (and let's not pretend they are mostly brown people) who believed in the message of the Statue of Liberty, but now face the reality that it is a lie, not to mention the tens of thousands of federal workers who have been forced out of their jobs for being loyal to the country over the president.

Do I wish for a 15% market drop? Sometimes.

If that's what it takes to wake up America from their fever, then I am willing to suffer a bit. I just hope that all the bad stuff to come, the Social Security shortfall (or bogus fix if it doesn't address the cap on when income is taxed), the future increase in childhood disease and death, the ongoing climate crisis featuring record breaking heat, storms, damage, along with the growing growth of AI and its drain on resources, water and power especially, is so overwhelming that our next president, regardless of party, will spend all his/her efforts on remediations rather than progress.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment